Twitter has said it has suspended more than 70,000 accounts which were primarily dedicated to sharing QAnon content after last week’s violence in Washington DC when supporters of the current President Donald Trump stormed the US Capitol building.
“Given the violent events in Washington, DC, and increased risk of harm, we began permanently suspending thousands of accounts that were primarily dedicated to sharing QAnon content on Friday afternoon”, Twitter said in a blog published on Monday.
QAnon backers have pushed conspiracies on social media which have the baseless claim that Trump secretly is fighting a cabal of child predators, one of them prominent Democrats, characters in Hollywood and “deep state” allies.
Twitter had said on Friday it would permanently suspend accounts pushing the QAnon conspiracy theory, banning several of the more notable and followed boosters of the conspiracy theories.
The storming of the Capitol building last week by Trump supporters delayed the certification of Joe Biden’s election victory by a few hours.
American lawmakers were forced to flee the scene, since the building was mobbed by the sitting President’s supporters who managed to enter the building. Five people are thought to have died as a result of the violence involving a Capitol Police officer who had been beaten as he tried to ward off the crowds.
The team at Platform Executive hope you have enjoyed this news article. Translation from English to other languages via Google Cloud Translation. Initial reporting via our official content partners at Thomson Reuters. Reporting by Kanishka Singh in Bengaluru. Editing by Himani Sarkar and Lincoln Feast.
Stay on top of the latest developments across the platform economy and gain access to our problem-solving tools, proprietary databases and content sets by becoming a member of our community. For a limited time, premium subscription plans start from just $7 per month.