Twitter and Facebook restrict circulation of New York Post story on Biden

Joe Biden

Facebook and Twitter throw doubt on a New York Post story that made claims about Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden’s son, taking proactive actions to limit dissemination of this narrative from the hours after it had been printed.

The narrative contained alleged details about Hunter Biden’s business dealings with a Ukrainian energy company and stated that the former president had met with an advisor of the provider. The narrative, which journalists at our partner news agency Reuters didn’t independently affirm, sourced information to mails it stated were awarded to the attorney of Rudy Giuliani, President Trump’s personal lawyer.

Robert Costello, the attorney for Giuliani mentioned in the New York Post story, didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Twitter banned its users from submitting hyperlinks to the Post story, while Facebook decreased how often the narrative shows up in customers’ news feeds and elsewhere on the Facebook platform.

Related Article:
Facebook is changing its deepfake policy

“The New York Post never requested the Biden campaign regarding the essential elements of the narrative,” Bates said. “We have reviewed Joe Biden’s official programs in the moment and no assembly, as alleged by the New York Post, actually happened,” he added.

The paper didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Facebook, the planet’s largest social media, restricted dissemination of this Post story within hours of its book Wednesday, according to a tweet by spokesman Andy Stone.

Stone mentioned a policy stating that Facebook can temporarily do it against articles pending inspection by news organizations and many others in its third party fact-checking app “if we have signals that a piece of content is false.”

Twitter stated the narrative broken up its” hacked materials” policy, which bars the supply of content accessed through hacking which has private data or trade secrets, or places individuals in danger of bodily injury. It provided no specifics on what substances it seen as hacked from the Post articles.

Related Article:
ByteDance to invest billions in Singapore

Twitter stated in a succession of tweets that pictures included in two Post posts contained personal details like email addresses and telephone numbers, which place them in breach of the organization’s “private information policy.”

The swift activities by the social networking firms earned praise from a disinformation investigators, who raised red flags regarding the provenance and trustworthiness of the Post’s story, however, a few said it raised concerns regarding their processes for determining to include the spread of false information.

Cristina Tardaguila, associate manager of the International Fact-Checking Network said she believed Facebook’s choice to do it without revealing its methodology “disturbing.”

Though Facebook can ask reality checkers for evaluations on specific parts of articles, multiple fact-checking spouses, such as a unit of Reuters, said the firm hadn’t done in this instance, nor had they chose to initiate a test by themselves.

Regardless of the moves to limit dissemination, the data in the narrative circulated broadly on the two platforms. Versions of this story reached the top 10 listing of most-shared English-language hyperlinks in Facebook pages and bands, although the subject was among those trending on Twitter at Wednesday afternoon.

Related Article:
Facebook bans ads that call voting fraud widespread or election invalid

The team at Platform Executive hope you have enjoyed this news article. Initial reporting via our official content partners at Thomson Reuters. Reporting by Katie Paul. Additional reporting by Elizabeth Culliford. Editing by Greg Mitchell and Leslie Adler.

To stay on top of the latest developments across the platform economy and gain access to our problem-solving tools, databases and comprehensive content sets, you can subscribe for just $19 per month.

Share This Post