The Federal Communications Commission has said it had rejected a petition from ZTE Corp requesting the agency to reconsider its decision designating the Chinese firm since a US federal security threat to communications systems.
The FCC announced in June it had officially designated China’s Huawei Technologies and ZTE as threats, a declaration that pubs US companies from tapping a $8.3 billion government fund to purchase equipment from the companies.
ZTE did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Last week, the FCC said it had been extending time period to react to Huawei’s request until December the 11th “to fully and adequately consider the voluminous record.”
In May 2019, President Donald J Trump signed an executive order barring US companies from utilizing telecommunications equipment produced by companies posing federal security dangers and the administration added Huawei to its trade blacklist.
The FCC on December the 10th will vote on rules to help carriers eliminate and replace gear from firms posing safety risks from networks.
FCC Chairman Ajit Pai said last week that the commission will take up two unspecified national security issues in its Dec. 10 meeting.
Back in April, the FCC revealed it might shut down the US operations of three state-controlled Chinese telecommunications companies: China Telecom, China Unicom and Pacific Networks Corp and its subsidiary ComNet (USA).
The nearly 20-year-old authorizations allow Chinese telecom companies to provide interconnection services for phone calls between the United States and other countries.
Last week, the FCC said it was reclaiming International Signalling Point Codes delegated to China Telecom (Americas), stating it had decided “the three codes are no longer in use.” China Telecom didn’t immediately comment.
In May 2019, the FCC voted unanimously to deny the following state-owned Chinese telecommunications firm, China Mobile, the right to supply US services, citing concerns China may use the approval to conduct espionage against the US government.
The team at Platform Executive hope you have enjoyed the ‘FCC affirms ZTE poses US national security threat‘ article. Initial reporting via our official content partners at Thomson Reuters. Reporting by David Shepardson in Washington. Editing by Chris Reese and Matthew Lewis.
Stay on top of the latest developments across the platform economy and gain access to our problem-solving tools, proprietary databases and content sets by becoming a premium member. Subscription plans start at under $7 per month.