The US Justice Department has asked two federal appeals courts to put on hold government appeals of lower court rulings blocking restrictions the Trump administration imposed on TikTok.
Under former President Trump, the Commerce Department sought to ban Apple and Google app stores from offering China-based TikTok for download to new users and to ban other technical transactions TikTok said would effectively barred the app’s use in the United States.
Three federal judges in separate rulings blocked Commerce orders on TikTok and for Chinese-owned WeChat.
The Justice Department told appeals courts for the District of Columbia and the Third Circuit that the Commerce Department “plans to conduct an evaluation of the underlying record justifying those prohibitions” to determine if they are warranted by the national security threat Trump described.
Late Wednesday, the Third Circuit agreed to cancel oral arguments that had been set for Thursday and directed the government to file a status report in 60 days.
Earlier, the White House said it has an ongoing review of risks TikTok may present to US data but stressed it has taken no new “proactive step” related to a pending plan for investors to acquire the Chinese-owned company’s American operations.
In between circling-back to previous questions, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said “it is not accurate to suggest that there is a new proactive step by the Biden White House” related to TikTok.
She said the administration was still conducting a comprehensive review of the “risks to US data … including from TikTok, and will address them in a decisive and effective fashion.”
Journalists at our partner news agency Reuters, citing two people briefed on the matter, reported that the plan unveiled in September for US investors, including Oracle and Walmart, to buy a majority stake in TikTok’s American operations could face months of additional reviews, as the new Biden administration conducts a wide-ranging review of China policy.
The Trump administration had contended that TikTok poses national security concerns as the personal data of American users could be obtained by China’s government. TikTok, which has over 100 million users in the US, has denied the allegation.
Many key Biden administration officials are not yet in place to review TikTok’s status. TikTok declined to comment.
Walmart declined to comment. Oracle did not respond to requests for comment.
Under pressure from the administration of Peesident Donald J Trump, ByteDance, which owns TikTok, was in talks for months to finalize the deal with Walmart and Oracle to shift TikTok’s American assets into a new entity to address US security concerns. Those talks have continued since Biden took office last month, sources have said.
In early December, the Trump administration chose not to grant ByteDance a new extension of an August order that required the company to divest TikTok’s American assets. The Justice Department had the power to enforce the divestiture order once the deadline expired, but it has taken no enforcement action.
The team at Platform Executive hope you have enjoyed this news article. Translation from English to other languages via Google Cloud Translation. Initial reporting via our official content partners at Thomson Reuters. Reporting by David Shepardson, Steve Holland, Melissa Fares, Echo Wang and Alexandra Alper in Washington, Chavi Mehta in Bengaluru. Editing by Maju Samuel, Jonathan Oatis and David Gregorio.
Stay on top of the latest developments across the platform economy and gain access to our problem-solving tools, proprietary databases and content sets by becoming a member of our community. For a limited time, premium subscription plans start from just $16 per month.