With the business both operating within emerging portions of the global economy I believe the business needs to ultimately define a set of values, which in-turn develop into a corporate culture.
These values and this culture should be noted in the employee handbook for reference.
Below are the seven core values that I believe are relevant for this kind of dot-com publishing business.
- VALUE – We seek to offer value to our members and customers by helping them solve the problems and challenges they face
- RELATIONSHIPS – We understand that our business is built around the building and maintaining of relationships
- EXCELLENCE – We aspire to be the very best at everything we do; and we learn from our mistakes
- LEADERSHIP – We pride ourselves on our leadership within the spaces we operate
- TEAMWORK – We are passionate about collaboration and engagement
- COURAGE – We are entrepreneurial, we create tangible innovations and thus take risks
- SPEED – We operate at speed
Remember, the values of the business both exist within; and define its overall culture.
It is my firm belief that a culture of a business equates to the collective personality of the organisation. Its culture is not just who we are as a company, but what we as a collective truly aspire to be.
For any business operating in multiple locales, potentially located within different States, different countries, maybe in radically different time zones the corporate culture is the *one big thing* will bind the business together.